QUITO: At least 41 people were killed when a powerful 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck Ecuador on Saturday, knocking down buildings in the country's largest city Guayaquil and cutting power in the capital Quito.
Vice President Jorge Glas said that a state of emergency had been declared across the Andean nation.
"We have 16 people dead in the city of Portoviejo, 10 in Manta and two in the province of Guayas," in the west of the country, Glas told a news conference.
Police, the military and emergency services "are in a state of maximum alert to protect the lives of citizens."
The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center also issued warning for the nearby Pacific coastline.
Image Credit: Reuters