Police officers outside the shrine of the late Iranian revolutionary founder Ayatollah Khomeini, after an assault of several attackers in Tehran on June 7, 2017. (Image Credit: Ebrahim Noroozi/AP Photo)

Iran says 5 Tehran attackers fought for ISIL, as death toll rises to 17

TEHRAN // Five of the men who launched an attack in the heart of Iran’s capital previously fought for ISIL, the country’s intelligence ministry said on Thursday, acknowledging the first such assault by the extremists in the country.

Wednesday’s attacks on Iran’s parliament and the tomb of its revolutionary leader killed at least 17 people and wounded over 40.

Posting bloody pictures of the men’s corpses on its website, the ministry identified them only by their first names, saying they did not want to release their last names due to security and privacy concerns for their families.

 The men had left Iran to fight for the extremist group in Mosul, Iraq, as well as Raqqa, Syria – the group’s de facto capital, the ministry said. It said they returned to Iran in August under the command of an ISIL leader and escaped when authorities broke up their extremist cell.

The ministry did not identify the men’s hometowns, nor say how they were able to evade authorities. A woman suspected to be involved in the attack was arrested on Wednesday.

Deputy interior minister Mohammad Hossein Zolfaghari told...Read more...